Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Grief Ambushes and Kindergarten

Grief certainly is a companion one can't predict. It springs up in odd places and at seemingly random times. But I can't ever predict which factor will set it off, now over two years later. But the past three weeks have had overflowing grief. I am so thankful we attend a church where this is embraced as part of our humanity.

H turned 13 last Friday. That was really rough; is really rough. E should be starting kindergarten, and I'm teaching kindergarten for the first time. Lots of areas for grief to well up.

In terms of kindergarten, I feel strangely at peace about it. Strange because I assumed I'd be pretty nervous and am not nearly so as much as I thought I'd be. And the peace part is certainly different from what I've experienced in my job before. I don't think I could ever say I was at peace when school started. Which is strange too.

These kindergarteners are going to crack me up.  The first one I met announced, "I knew it! I knew you'd be pretty!"

Thanks for making my evening, little one!


2 comments:

This Life said...

Love your students comment! Praying for continued healing.

Angela said...

Ready or not, grief comes, doesn't it? But you sound like a strong lady. With the Lord's help you'll make it.
God bless